Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dublin, Ireland! PC Edition

So the following weekend I made the trek up to Dublin! February 28 was a holiday for us here in Spain, El Día de Andalucía, so I was able to make a long weekend out of it. Megan and Dodie are studying at the University of Dublin and Meg so graciously hosted me (Thank you). I was super excited to see them. Annnnnd not to mention...Michele and the girls were coming for PC's spring break! 

It was just SO nice to see them, it didn't matter where we were. Of course, it felt as though we never even left each other. It was great to catch up with everyone throughout the trip. Also, I love that I've gotten the chance to see the lives my friends lead abroad! 

Meg and I did a ton of exploring throughout the city. Dublin is pretty much just as I pictured it! Everyone is SO sweet and willing to sit and have a conversation with you, or physically walk you in the direction you need to go. It was great. At one point Meg and I were walking down the street and I had sushi rolls in one hand, soy sauce in another, my camera hanging on my shoulder and my bag pretty much open. An Irish man stopped us and said, "Where abouts in America are ya from? I got to give ya some advice, ya need to be careful." Is it SO obvious we are Americans? Not to mention, he was definitely the person who would be stealing your stuff. He said, "Especially if you're disorganized, and this one looks like a mess." And pointed to me haha. We were dying. (definitely one of those funnier-at-the-time moments)

Downtown Dubin is so much fun! There were so many shops and restaurants. There was also live music on the streets, which will always be a plus in my book. And some real good Irish music at that! The River Liffey is the river that runs through the center of Dublin. All the coolest cities have rivers :)



River Liffey

So we went to the Old Jameson Distillery, which was really fun and interesting to see how it was made and how much they pride themselves on their whiskey. They constantly made jabs at Americans, saying how the types that are too weak for the Irish would be way too strong for us. Had my first real Irish Coffee, yum!



One of my favorite parts about the city were the colored doors all over! 'Colored Doors of Dublin.' Blue, red, yellow, green. It was fantastic.



So of course just to be that person, I asked Meg if there are really little munchkin leprechauns in Ireland. Of course she starts laughing and calls me crazy. Come to find out, I see about 5 midgets throughout the weekend. The next thing you know, I saw a little leprechaun. So I will validate the myth here--there ARE, in fact, leprechauns in Ireland...




A little Wilde in his hometown

Finally the Providence girls arrived and I was simply thrilled to be with everyone! We had a great time exploring the city and the George's Street Arcade market. I wish I could have gotten to spend more time with them, but I enjoyed seeing everyone. It was so nice to hang out with Dodie, Bridget, Jenna, and Erin because I never get to spend much time with them at school. We had a ball! Michele is just as funny as ever. She was also told that "There are no other girls in Europe quite like her." God I love her.





We ended the incredible weekend at the Guinness factory with sky bar overlooking the city. The band played our song, "Galway Girl" and it was perfect. To say that I was sitting overlooking the capital city of Ireland with two of my best friends is one of the greatest feelings ever.



Just necessary



  "Galway Girl" at the Guinness Factory

Dublin was just awesome. It was everything I pictured and more. I couldn't be happier that everyone is enjoying their respective places around Europe (and down under, Cay) (and the Northeast haha, suckers) I think everyone made the right choice on where to study. I know Dublin is perfect for Megan and that comforts me :) Thank you, thank you, thank you for having me! 


Erin go Bragh!




No comments:

Post a Comment